Wednesday, August 19, 2009

First Day of School

Yesterday was Katelyn's first day of school. This year I signed her up for two days a week, Mondays and Wednesdays, from 9-1. I have been a complete nervous wreck, second guessing my decision, thinking she was not ready for this day. Maybe it is me that is not ready.......I am just not sure. We went to orientation on Monday and the kids were able to play in the room for an hour and just try to get familiar with the surroundings while the parents went to a meeting. She was a little clingy to my leg but eventually I was able to slip out with no problems. I left her room in tears worried sick about how she was, if she was scared, did she have a friend to play with, was she being loved on, etc. I knew that it was going to be a long day on Wednesday so I had to start preparing myself for it! So, I made a decision to walk her in to school yesterday morning. Now that the day is over, I still stand by my decision to walk her in 100%. She really did not even want to walk into the school but I got her in and into her classroom. After a couple of minutes, I eventually got her off my leg and slipped out once again. I left her room happy and with a good feeling about today. I was very anxious throughout the day and I was so excited to see her that I was the first one in line to pick her up! I watched as all the kids piled out of their rooms to wait for carpool, one by one. Finally, I saw my little angel walking out and she sat down on the wall next to another little girl. As carpool started, I saw them reach for Katelyn to bring her out to the car. Anyone that knows my little Katelyn, knows that she is VERY strong willed and VERY stubborn. As I watched her through the doors, she seemed to be fighting the lady that was bringing her out to the car. She was kicking and fussing which did not give me that warm fuzzy feeling that you want when you drop your first and only child off at school. So, she got in the car and seemed fine and very happy so I quickly asked Abbey to check her bag for a note or something so that I would know how her day was. There was nothing. I know a few of the mom's of the kids in her class so I quickly got on the phone to get the scoop. I call it....."the mommy mofia"! ha! I found out that the other girls had brought home a pretty painting with their hand prints on them. I just got to the point that I knew that I needed to call the teacher to find out how Katelyn's first day of school was. So, I called Mrs. Michelle, her very sweet teacher, and asked her why Katelyn did not have any artwork in her book bag today. She informed me that Katelyn refused to do her artwork and I must say, I literally had tears in my eyes at this point. Not what a Mommy wants to hear! She said that she would not play all day, she would not eat her lunch, she would not play on the playground, she would not hold onto the rope that the kids hold on to while walking in the hall.....must I go on? So, I am now completely distraught! I can totally see my strong-willed, stubborn child refusing to do everything and making Mrs. Michelle's day completely crazy. On the other hand, it breaks my heart to wonder if she doesn't understand where she is and why she is there. Yes, we have been talking to her about school and she always says that she wants to go and that she is excited about it. I just don't know right now. I am forcing myself to roll over a new leaf for Monday and to give it another shot. I LOVE her teacher! I just wonder if she is really ready for this. Or...... maybe she is overdue this! Any comments, thoughts or advice would be wonderful! And, please pray for Katelyn and ME on Monday, that she will feel safe and have fun at school. And on a side note, Katelyn is teething and has missed a couple naps this week due to that. It is her top molars. She had motrin before school but I know that could be one stumbling block from Wednesday. Who knows!






6 comments:

Robyn Herring said...

I have been so curious how it went! I have a friend whose little girl didn't eat lunch at school for a while, but eventually warmed up and now loves to go! I bet if you hang in there, it will be a good thing for her. We'll be in the same spot in a few weeks so we can just cry together :) Our little girls are just used to their mommies being around so it may take them a while to adjust!

Lorelle said...

Okay, Ashley- as a former pre-school teacher AND nanny- I've been on both sides. I've been the teacher that had kids that pouted all day long and belive me, they get over it after a few days and enjoy themselves! I've also been the nanny who had to pick up the kids in tears from MDO. It's so hard dropping them off while they're clinging to you saying "Don't leave me Relle, Dont' leave me Relle." But, again- after just a few days they LOVED school !
I know you're scared and frightened that this isn't a good idea, but believe me- the advantages to her attending MDO are completely worth it. You can do it, just hang in there and it WILL get better!!

Anonymous said...

she is precious!!! i totally know how you feel b/c madeline was awful when she started mothers day out at our church last september. she was 7 months at the time and still wouldn't drink from a bottle so i was totally freaked out about it. they would call me and tell me that she was not eating and was crying. i almost took her out but my mom encouraged me to stick w/ it b/c we all knew that she needed to learn to be w/ other people besides me. she has always been very clingy to me but i promise mdo has really helped her to branch out! she has met friends and has really changed and learned to like it. give it some time, i am sure she will adjust...it just takes them awhile. madeline used to scream when i would leave her but she has come so far.

Julie said...

i beat myself up over the first few days of Sophia attending MDO last year as she really needed to grow outside her comfort zone...and sure enough, by sticking with it, she absolutely blossomed! I know it's so hard, but Katelyn will grow in so many wonderful and beneficial ways! Sophia started going just 1 day per week last year, then we were able to add 2 more to the week...she really was loving being a big girl going to school! Soon we were hearing about her friends in class too. One of those kids will be in her class this year too! If you stay excited about school and keep a positive attitude towards it, she will pick up on that and do the same thing. I promise! Hugs!!

The Dilworth Family said...

Diddo what everyone else has said! Children at her age are so very adaptable, it just us who don't like change. Thomas just started a new school this year and he now eats lunch at school too. I really went back and forth wondering if this change was the best thing for him. He did great and really could care less which school he attends. Stick with it and I promise she will grow to LOVE school and you will too!!!

Ashley @ pure and lovely said...

oh my goodness! shes precious. lovin the four peas backpack!